CAMP yAAC 2018
Camp yAAC is coordinated by a community based committee committed to increasing the success of children using speech generating devices to communicate. Spearheaded by the Open Access Resource Centre and in partnership with our funders we are all very excited to offer your child a camp experience with a special focus on using their speech generating device.
We are hoping some of the key outcomes for campers will include:
- New communication opportunities
- Increased proficiency in the use of their device
- Personal development as they participate in new activities and meet new friends
- Learning from peers and seeing role models who use technology
- Motivation through group interactions and friendship building
Camp yAAC participants must meet these requirements:
- School age (up to 21 years old)
- Currently using a speech generating device for a variety of purposes
- Able to function appropriately in a group setting for the duration of the day at camp.
- Accompanied by a skilled support worker (families are responsible for finding and subsidizing their children’s support workers)
- Dropped off and picked up at Camp Manitou
*To view a video of Camp yAAC 2016 at Camp Assiniboia in action click here.